“Joseph Robidoux, who established a trading post at the Blacksnake Hills about 1825, was a man of vision. He anticipated not only an influx of settlers, but also the need for a trail to the west which wold join the Blue River and the Platte. Blacksnake Hills had it all over Independence, being substantially closer to the Platte River; two extra days by steamer would save two weeks by ox-team. . . .
St. Joe continued to serve emigrants during the fifties, but was overshadowed by Council Bluffs. In 1859 the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad arrived, and in 1860 the fleet Pony Express began its meteoric career here. After the Civil War, St. Joe became a railroad and agricultural center.”