Russell, Majors & Waddell Get the Army Monopoly

On March 27 of the same year [1855] he [Russell] and his partners, under the name of Majors & Russell, signed a two-year contract with Q. M. Maj. E. S. Sibley at Fort Leavenworth to transport all of the military stores to all of the army posts in the West and Southwest. This gave them a monopoly upon that class of freighting business, which enviable position they held until 1860.